Learning Lab Competitive Grants
Achievement gaps in STEM education limit opportunities for underrepresented Californians to pursue careers in science and technology and impede the ability of California’s institutions of higher education to meet regional and statewide demand for a STEM–educated workforce. The Learning Lab supports faculty and institutions of higher education that seek to demonstrate innovative and scalable approaches to closing equity and achievement gaps in STEM and improving learning outcomes in online and hybrid courses through the use of learning science and educational technologies.
Past Learning Lab Awards
The 2018–19 RFP, “Improving Equity, Accessibility and Outcomes for STEM Gateway Courses,” identified nine projects to improve STEM gateway courses across California’s public higher education segments.
- The Better Book Project
- Giving Ownership of Active Learning to Students in Computer Science (GOALS in CS)
- Eliminating Equity Gaps in Online STEM Gateway Courses through Humanized Instruction
- The Mechanics of Inclusion and Inclusivity in Mechanics
- Developing Students’ Identity and Self-Perception as Capable STEM Thinkers and Learners
- Community Sourced, Data-Driven Improvements to Open, Adaptive Courseware
- Building College-Level Number Sense with Adaptive Technology
- E-Games for Active Training in Engineering Design
- California Challenges in STEM Energy Education